from little things big things grow

Sunday, May 18, 2014

The revered muesli slice

A million years ago when I was a uni student my little sister sent me a care package. A very special package indeed. For nestled among a yoga top and a Waifs cd was a snack container neatly filled with muesli slice.  Most importantly the recipe was included. Had I never tasted it for myself I might never have made it. Because the name does sound a bit boring. Sort of conjuring up visions of raw museli, sultanas and bird seed.  But I did taste it. And I'm certain I ate every piece from the container in surely one go. Because it was delicious. Warm honey; toasty oats in butter and flour; sweet apricots. What more could a broke art student desire? Beside beer, and a solo exhibition filled with red dots.

Had instagram had been around I would have hipsterly captured it. A small postpack box, a soft pink cotton top, the sepia toned CD cover, and a blue lidded container. I still have the biro written recipe.  And whenever I make this recipe I think back nostalgically on the little package that has endured time and space. Because I still make it. And it is just as delicious as it was back then.


I did share it on instagram last week. Sort of. Not the package, obviously *eye roll, but the recipe and the slice itself. I was rewarded with a request for the recipe, and a squawk of delight from baby sister. After a couple of days in which my brain stewed over the idea of this I recognised the shortcoming of instagram. You can't zoom in on pictures. (You can't can you? I'm not missing something am I?) And if your eyes are somewhat like mine - in need of glasses, then perhaps a blog post is kinder on them. So here you go...

Muesli Slice
Easy to make and easy eating

2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
1 Tablespoon sunflower seeds
3/4 c plain flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 c rolled oats
3/4 c sugar
1/2 c chopped dried apricots
1/2 c chopped dried dates
150g butter
2 Tablespoons honey

Preheat an oven 180 degrees C
Line or grease a slice tray

Toast your seeds and allow to cool while continuing on with the next steps.
Melt butter and honey, and also cool, and continue onwards.
Now sift flour and add baking powder. Stir in sugar, oats and fruit. Add seeds.
Pour melted mixture over dry mixture and combine.
Press into the slice tray.
Bake for 20mins. Then cool and slice away.

--------

It's a forgiving recipe, which is fortunate, because I often trade out ingredients depending on what is at hand. It can be a bit rich. Especially if you pop in dates or figs. So I like to have mine with a mug of milk.



And the thing is, as I write this, I'm aware that I have another sister. And its not that she has never sent me a care package or recipes. But if she were to send me (or even email me) her recipe for savoury corn and cheese mini muffins then she would get a blog post too.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment