from little things big things grow

Monday, April 1, 2013

Gratitude

I mentioned in an earlier post that I've been keeping a gratitude journal. I thought I would write a little more about it. I did some group therapy for my PND, and in this we looked at gratitude as a tool for managing anxiety and depression. It's a bit like switching from seeing the glass as half empty to viewing it as half full instead. Each morning I try to take the time to note three things I am grateful for. After that I journal a little and set a goal for the day. If I can't get to putting pen to paper I do it mentally. Then at the end of the day I write in my babe diary - it's a record of the things my little babe gets up too. I try and focus on the good stuff and the milestones. I guess at the end of the year I'm hoping to have a record that shows me that my life was more than just chasing away the black dog of PND.

Having these little routines helps. It gives me somewhere to go. I feel like at the start of the day I'm investing in a mindset, and at the end of the day it's like I'm capturing the journey sailed. In the early days after Skye was born Fraser and I would give each other a high five for getting through the day. Well, with the journal and the diary I am maintaining this. And reminding myself that its progress not perfection that is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment