from little things big things grow

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Milestones and mind mapping

This Saturday is the next Map and Hatch business planning for crafters workshop.

Its at the Grange Library, more info here: http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/whats-on/venue/library-events/index.htm#/?i=2

I've been reading some great blog posts via Facebook and Etsy about pursuing your craft passion and turning it into a business venture. I've been doing some mind mapping in my delicious moleskine, applying these ideas to my business plan, and considering how to use these to excite people attending my workshops. I love mindmaps! I love writing words, circling them and linking them up. They feel like word drawings and they often feel magical because they impart messages.

I'm doing the extra research because I'll be doing some master classes on craft business planning later this year. The classes will go for longer and have a smaller ratio of participants to me. I want to spend a bit of time mindmapping with people. First jotting down all things related to their business and then circling really important elements in order to discover the foundation.

Foundations are really important because they can guide as well as hold up a plan. Also known as standards or brand, foundations are as much about who you are as how you move towards success. I've been working on an idea which goes goals will help you achieve your big picture if you use your foundations to guide you. It can be drawn in a feeder cycle - you can see it in one of the images of my journaling.

Speaking of planning reminds me of milestones. Teaching workshops are milestones for me. But for Skye this week was a different milestone - her first solids. This has involved stealing my food, rather than a planned menu. What milestones have you achieved lately?









2 comments:

  1. Hi Sally, I left today's workshop feeling really inspired, thanks so much. I came home and created a very colourful vision board. I really need to find my direction in where I'm going with my craft idea and turning it into a reality and hopefully one day down the track something I can live off and iI think today may have been my starting place. Kathrine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathrine, thanks for posting here. I was thrilled to read how you were inspired. I am so glad you took some steps towards your goal! Best of luck with the journey, and looking forward to hearing more.
      Sally

      Delete