from little things big things grow

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

baking and creating: the days of a would be house-wife

The fragrance of warm cinnamon and pear is saturating the kitchen. Its tremendous and scrummy. I am once again baking Sophia's Peach and Berry Tart (from the one-armed cookbook). I have substituted autumn pears and almonds for the peaches and berries. Its a bit like a tea-cake.


And now that is in the oven, and the apartment has reached a sweaty temperature I am making hot cross buns. Being averse to sultanas (and raisons, and craisons, and sultanas etc) I use apricots instead.


Baking is one of the delicious positives of 'working from home'. Another one is staying up late and sleeping in. I find myself staying up later and . There is some outstandingly b-grade tv on after 9pm, and this can last up to 2am with the new digital stations. Its great for sketching or cutting out too. I am thrilled that I have begun drawing again - little sketches of things in the house - with no real reason. Except enjoyment. A good reason.

Wedding planning and sourcing is constantly inspiring me. I never knew the importance of bunting and garlands before, but now with a diamond on my finger, I understand. To decorate the apartment for our forthcoming engagement party I am making some paper garlands. And I am going to make a few more of these to sell.

3 comments:

  1. Oh can't wait to see all the final creations.I love the buntings pretty..
    xo
    Daneve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm ... I can almost smell that tart cooking from here.

    I love your latest sketch, and congratulations on your engagement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it's all about bunting and garlands! I spent last night sitting in front of some crap on TV, cutting out pieces of fabric for baby bunting.

    ReplyDelete