from little things big things grow

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Beautiful and useful

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" - William Morris

I found this delightful quote at this cute blog

It's no secret to close friends that I am a huge fan of the Unclutterer advice. Do you know it? (also if anyone knows an Aussie version can you tell me, sometimes it gets irrelevant because it is based from the States).

And I'm suprised that I didn't find this quote on their blog.

Some time back there was an intriguing discussion on what to do with vases that multiply (like coathangers, I guess). One of the millions of ideas was to turn them into potplants.

We unfortunately had some very large-mouth vases that the bear and his mate had purchashed as large beer glasses, and then never used again. I've been really happy to turn them into something useful and beautiful. Maybe even a little too excited ... being sustainable, being crafty, growing herbs ... you can't hold me back!

I bought some basils from the Northey Street Farm, and some riverstones (for drainage) from a dodgy $2 shop - could I find Australian made anywhere - no, and this is the result!

(no not this - this is a delicious panama passionfruit - its at the community garden in SouthBank/West End - will do some research and report soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment